I didn’t quite meet my goal for this week on the Sophie WIP, since I wrote 10,000 words instead of 15,000. And I realized that I needed to cut 10,000 more words out of the original manuscript. So now, the document I keep all of the cut material in is 40,000 words, while the document is only 20,000, and I feel like I’m working backwards. I love writing first drafts, I really do, but sometimes it can make you feel like a failure. So, this week will be super-productive-busy week so I can feel like I’ve actually done something. My goals will be:
-Write 15,000 words (I can do it this time! I promise!). Cut if necessary, and I know it will be, but keep on writing.
-Pay extra attention to everyone’s voice. I want to make sure all my characters are vibrant on the page—really, I just want to avoid further cutting—so I’m hoping not only to write a lot this week, but also to write well.
We’ll see how it goes. I hope all of you have the productive week you’re hoping for!